Wingels and Niemi led the way as the Sharks shut out the Kings 4-0.
- No drama. No excuses. Just go out there and play hockey.
- That's exactly what the Sharks did in route to a 4-0 victory over the Kings, crashing their banner raising party. Niemi stood on his head, stopping 34 shots and proving that management made the right choice in starting him. This is surely a confidence boost for a goalie with a lot to prove.
- Tommy Wingels had a sensational game with two pretty goals. In the first period he sniped one over Jonathan Quick's shoulder from a sharp angle and in the second he dangled Quick out of his jock-strap on a breakaway goal.
- Mirco Mueller and Chris Tierney made their NHL debuts, both having very good games, especially Mueller. Tierney came out flying his first few shifts then fell off the radar a bit, but still was a +2 with 3 shots on goal. He also recorded his first NHL point, an assist on Wingels' second goal. Mueller logged close to 18 minutes of ice time paired with Burns, and showcased his meaner side which he's been working on by being involved in a few scrums and laying a couple hits. He had some PP time and PK time, showing good puck-moving ability skills. He looks to be the real deal and is even being compared to a young Vlasic. Both Mueller and Tierney drew a penalty in their first NHL game.
- Matt Nieto and Patrick Marleau scored the other goals for San Jose and played very good games. Their center on the second line, Logan Couture, struggled a bit. He seemed to get knocked off the puck too easily and took a stupid penalty.
- The first line of Pavelski, Thornton, and Hertl didn't show up at all on the scoresheet but combined for 11 shots. Perhaps they just need some time to develop chemistry but right now they don't seem to be clicking. Hopefully coaching will give it a few games, but they may have to adjust.
- Tye McGinn notched his first point as a Shark. He didn't really play that well otherwise, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent down to Worcester to work on his game in the near future.
- Great way to start the season Sharks!